: a journey to find little smatterings of joy disguised as regular moments of everyday life :

an american girl in italy 1951 : ruth orkin

Monday, May 10, 2010

11 : when it hits you, you feel (no) pain . . .


sometimes i do feel pain when it hits me . . . occasionally it hurtles me back in time, other times it propels me years into the future with visions of what could be. this, to me, is the power and the palpable joy of music. songs have the ability to etch memories and dreams into my unconscious, fighting their way to the surface of my mind and my heart when i least expect it. tonight, it was 'sounds of silence,' by none other than the irreplaceable simon + g.

: dancing (with wild abandon, naturally) in a sun-filled living room, tiny feet barely touching the plush sky-blue carpeting, white-blonde hair flying in carefree splashes, tiny young voice singing words she can't possibly understand :

: teenage spirit flowing through the newly-hers car, sunlight streaming through the open sunroof, smiling cheeks bellowing out the still-misunderstood words :

: night-before-college-graduate, sitting indian-style in her empty room, words finally piercing her heart with more power than she ever expected . . . shivers, brushes the tears from her hazel eyes, and rushes down the stairs to find her "family" :

for all of you who find music so startlingly memory-jerking, i hope that my little memories help you to conjure some of your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment