: a journey to find little smatterings of joy disguised as regular moments of everyday life :

an american girl in italy 1951 : ruth orkin

Monday, May 17, 2010

13 : brains



on the way home from a road trip yesterday, i discovered a few old mixed cd’s from my high school and early college days. needless to say, i could not wait for my 20ish minute commute to work this morning, because i knew that i was going to have an extreme musical flashback to years long passed . . . and oh man, did these cd’s pull through. although the music entertained me because of its incredible randomness and nostalgic quality, the joy that i felt from this experience came from this: it has been most likely four or more years since i’d heard most of these songs; however, i felt myself singing the entire songs, start to finish, without (very many) mistakes. it made me realize and appreciate once again the insane power that the brain has to hang on to ridiculously trivial and non-essential information – how is it possible that it can remember and conjure up every syllable to gerry rafferty’s “right down the line” but it cannot seem to dredge up the time of my hair appointment tomorrow? it truly baffles me . . . but in a this-is-so-awesome type of way. happy monday, all – make it a joyful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment